Thursday, February 10, 2011

Elementary School Peanut Butter Bars

Do you remember those peanut butter bars from elementary school lunch? The ones with the chocolate frosting? It's been a long time since I was in elementary, but I still totally remember how good those were! I found this recipe and they really taste just like I remember them. This makes a very large batch, so unless you plan on sharing, I would half it and cook it in a 9x13. I made the full batch and let's just say my pants were tighter at the end of the week!

Elementary School Peanut Butter Bars

1 1/2 cup shortening
1 1/2 cup peanut butter
1 1/2 cup white sugar
1 1/2 cup brown sugar
3 eggs
3/4 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
2 1/3 cup flour
3 cups oats (regular or quick)

Cream together the shortening, peanut butter, sugars and eggs until smooth. Add the remaining ingredients and beat until incorporated. Spread into a greased cookie sheet (jelly roll size) until even on all sides. The batter is thick, it helps to use a fork to spread it and press it all out. Bake at 325 degrees for 14 minutes. It will seem underdone, but it will firm up as it sits.)

Chocolate frosting:

1 stick butter (softened)
1 tsp. vanilla
dash of salt
1/2 cup cocoa powder
3 1/2 cup powdered sugar (may need more)
1/3 cup milk

Beat the butter, cocoa and milk together until smooth. Add remaining ingredients and continue to beat until fluffy and smooth. Spread a thin layer over the cooled bars.

***Recipe from: Deals to meals

No comments: